The Microsoft support scam involves the scammer calling you claiming to be a computer-security expert from Microsoft or another legitimate company.
They’ll say that your PC, laptop, or tablet has been infected with malware (or a computer virus), and that they can help you solve the problem.
The scammer may try on the following on you
- Request credit card information from you so they can bill you for false services
- Microsoft or another company will never call to advise you about a virus or malware on your computer
- Never allow anyone to install software on your computer, or mobile device or install it yourself unless you are sure it’s safe.
- Do not share personal or banking details with anyone you do not know
- Report them to https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams/report-scam-website
- Make Microsoft aware of the scam at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/concern/scam?rtc=1